Membership is quite simple; committing to be a Christian and be held accountable by a church as you pursue God and His glory. A member commits to people, prays for people, and pursues a relationship with God in the context of people.
The New Testament assumes the idea of church membership.
Hebrews 13:17 suggests that pastors have to give an account for people, while people need to submit to a local leadership (pastor). This leads to the logical question: Who are these people? Specifically, do pastors need to give an account for everyone, and should Christians submit to any leadership? The answer is that pastors are accountable for their sheep (members) and people (members) are to submit to their leader (pastors). Membership is assumed in the structure and logic of Hebrews 13.
Furthermore, we see in the New Testament these examples:
- 1 Cor. 12:24: Members commit to one another
- 1 Tim. 5:17: We are commanded to submit to an elder
- 1 Peter 5:1-5: The Bible commands that elders care for certain people
- Acts 6:1-16: Elections take place to care for certain issues
- Romans 16:1-16: We see what appears to be an awareness of who is a church member
- James 5:14: Tells us to call our elders when we are sick to pray for us
As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, having been baptized, and in agreement with the doctrine and positions of Gresham Bible Church, I am committing myself to Gresham Bible Church and submitting myself to the spiritual leadership of the church elders. (Hebrews 13:17)
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. ~Hebrews 10:24-25
I am committed to Growing. Personal growth, spiritual growth, and the growth of Gresham Bible Church members, is a priority in my life. (2 Peter 3:17-18)
I am committed to Giving. I recognize God’s control over all my financial resources and I cheerfully commit to giving the first portion of all I receive to the Lord. (2 Corinthians 8:7; 9:11)
I am committed to Going. I am gifted by God and I am committed to using my gift(s) to serve others and live the gospel daily. (1 Peter 4:10)
Interested In Becoming a Member?
- A great place to start is by attending our next GBC 101 class to learn more about why we exist, what we believe, and what we are seeking to do together.
- Go HERE to register for our next class
- After attending that class, we will schedule a meeting with you and one of our elders.
- Finally, you will be introduced at our next members meeting.
- Email Josh Howeth, with questions or next steps. (email@example.com)